It’s hard to know who can help in a time of crisis. For Virginians with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD), the system is especially fragmented. Below, find information on dLCV’s online self-advocacy complaint and other oversight and regulatory entities. Please read the complaint contacts to know who to complain to if you have a problem with services. This includes problems with the regional REACH programs and other crisis services in Virginia.
Are you inappropriately institutionalized? Are you at risk of institutionalization?
If so, submit a self-advocacy complaint to the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) Commissioner. This self-advocacy complaint is for people with I/DD who are at risk of institutionalization or are inappropriately institutionalized. Online Complaint or Written Complaint.
Other Complaint Processes & Forms:
Who Else Can I Complain To? Critical information about Complaint Contacts.
If you or someone you support has been abused, neglected, or exploited, contact Adult Protective Services at 1-888-832-3858 or Child Protective Services at 1-800-552-7096 regardless of the setting in which the abuse, neglect, or exploitation occurred. If you or someone you support is in immediate danger, call 911.
REACH/Children’s Crisis Services Complaint Forms:
- Region 5: Adult | Child
- Region 4: Adult | Child
- Region 3: Adult | Child
- Region 2: Adult | Child
- Region 1: Adult | Child
- DBHDS Office of Human Rights Website
- DBHDS Office of Human Rights Complaint Form
- DBHDS Office of Licensing Website
- DBHDS Office of Licensing Complaint Form
- Medicaid Fraud Unit Website and Complaints
- Office of the State Inspector General Website and Complaints
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division Website
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division Complaint Form
- Virginia Department of Health, Office of Licensure and Certification Website
- Virginia Department of Health Professions Website
- Virginia Department of Health Professions Complaint Form
- Virginia Department of Social Services Website
- Virginia Department of Social Services Complaint Form